Information for Year 8 Parents
|3rd January 2023||Spring Term begins|
|w/c 6th February 2023||Y7-10 Maths Assessments|
|12th – 17th February Inclusive||Spring Half-Term|
|2nd March 2023||Y8 Virtual Parents Evening|
|w/c 6th March 2023||Y7-10 Spring Progress Reviews home this week|
|17th March 2023||INSET Day 4|
|23rd March 2023||Y8 Curriculum Evening (Virtual)|
|31st March 2023||1500 End of Spring Term|
|3rd April – 14th April inclusive||Easter Holiday|
|17th April 2023||Summer Term begins|
|1st May 2023||Bank Holiday|
|w/c 22nd May 2023||Y7-10 Maths Assessments this week|
|29th May – 2nd June Inclusive||Summer Half Term|
|w/c 19th June 2023||Y7-10 End of Year exams (week 1).
Y7-10 Progress Reviews published this week
|w/c 26th June 2023||Y7-10 End of Year exams (week 2)|
|3rd July 2023||INSET Day 5|
|6th July 2023||Y8 Presentation Evening|
|14th July 2023||Y7 & 8 Sponsored Walk|
|17th July 2023||Sports Day|
|21st July 2023||1230 End of Summer Term|
An up to date list of calendared events can be found here.
At Harrow Way, we acknowledge the large body of research which indicates a correlation between reading and academic success and between reading and well-being and we encourage all our students to be readers. To this end, our Learning Resource Centre operates a library facility with thousands of fiction and non-fiction books supporting reading for pleasure and reading for purpose. Some audio fiction titles are available. There are also a wide variety of magazines.
We operate an E-book platform though Hampshire County Council and this now includes audio books too. Our Reading Cloud platform allows students to access the library catalogue, read and write book reviews, find out what new titles are available and more. Both can be accessed via the VLE. All of these are free to use. However, lost items will need to be replaced by the borrower. In addition, we run a student book group called NatterReads who meet informally most weeks over lunch to share what they are reading.
Our Learning Resource Centre Manager is able to provide recommended reading book lists for students who are reluctant or struggling readers as well as recommended book review and search websites.
Some Year 8 readers will be given the opportunity to participate in the annual Hampshire Book Awards, which involves reading six shortlisted fiction titles in 10 to 12 weeks, meeting weekly to discuss them and then attending a Hampshire wide voting day in June/July. They then meet the winning author in the Autumn at a presentation event.
- Jonathan Stroud
- Helen Dennis – River of Ink series (Hampshire Book Award winner 2017)
- Tamsyn Murray – Instructions for a Second Heart (Hampshire Book Award 2018)
- Sharon Gosling – Fir (spooky thriller)
- Jane Prowse – Hattori Hachi trilogy (ninja adventure)
- Joffre White
- JRR Tolkien – The Hobbit (fantasy adventure)
- Cathy Cassidy
- Cathy Hopkins
- Sophie McKenzie – Girl Missing series
- Anthony Horowitz
- Joseph Delaney – Spooks series (fantasy adventure)
- Derek Landy – Skulduggery Pleasant (fantasy adventure)
- Sarah Crossan – One (conjoined twins)
- Jon Walter – My Name’s Not Friday ( child slavery during American Civil War)
- Renee Watson – Piecing me Together (a coming of age story set in Black America)
- Susan Nielsen – We are all Made of Molecules (family dynamics)
- Kim Slater – Seven Letter Word (scrabble, stammer)
- Chris Priestley
- Emma Moss – Girls Can Vlog series