Careers – An Overview for Parents, Carers & Employers
Careers Lead: Mr G Fluellen
Careers Advisor: Mrs L Manning
At Harrow Way Community School we are passionate about giving our students a broad and balanced experience of careers through our careers guidance programme. In the rapidly changing education landscape, with changes to qualifications and progression routes it is so important that students and parents are well informed in order to be able to prepare for their future.
As a school, we are committed to meeting the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks by providing the following:
- A stable careers programme
- Learning from Career and Labour Market Information
- Addressing the needs of each pupil
- Linking Curriculum Learning to Careers
- Encounters with Employers and Employees
- Experience of Workplaces
- Encounters with Further & Higher Education
- Personal Guidance
Measuring and assesses the impact of the HWCS careers programme on students
At HWCS we are always striving to further enhance and improve our careers programme. We gather student feedback on our Careers and Personal Development lessons from pupils. We monitor the pathways of our students from year 11, to ensure we have provided the best advice and care possible to ensure our pupils make the best decision for them and their future.
Our Careers Programme
We cover careers across the age ranges through assemblies, discrete lessons as part of our Careers and Personal Development Programme in year 9, 10 and 11 and an ever increasing range of events and activities.
Online resources & websites for Parents and Students:
- careerpilot.org.uk this website has useful subject related careers information and easy to understand information on apprenticeships, and Labour Market projections.
- lmiforall.org.uk a labour market information (LMI) site that can inform people’s choices about their careers.
- prospects.ac.uk this website is useful for graduate career information, gap years and graduate training programmes.
- ucas.com Website to explore degree level courses and their entry requirements.
- brightknowledge.org Job profiles linked to school subjects, as well as useful information about industries and higher education.
- apprenticeshipguide.co.uk General information about apprenticeships.
- nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk National Careers Service:
- successatschool.org A one stop shop for careers advice and information.
- startprofile.com Students can play a careers game which then generates career ideas to suit students’ interests and personality. Having played the game, students can look further into their job matches and find out more information.
- https://amazingapprenticeships.com/ Find out all about apprenticeships and some of the amazing opportunities that might be available to you.
- Icould.com career videos, job information and ideas for your future. You can also try the Buzz quiz to find out more about your personality type and how it might influence your career choices.
- https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/ A brilliant website that includes lots of information to help you plan your career and explore your options. You can find out about careers linked to your favourite subjects, and take quizzes to help you source potential careers to suit you.