DSC05750Art students at Harrow Way Community School had a creative treat recently with a guest appearance from Kirsty Whitlock, Artist in Residence of De Montfort University.

DSC05727Kirsty took time out from her busy exhibition schedule to meet Year 10 and Year 11 (14 to 16 year old) art students. Having recently graduated with a First Class Honours degree in Design Arts, Kirsty had a comprehensive portfolio of work to discuss with the students. They were also very interested to hear about Kirsty’s artistic journey from school to university and what their choices could be once they had successfully completed their own GCSEs.

Kirsty said: “As soon as I entered the School I noticed the variety of artwork which is displayed on the walls everywhere. The students I went on to meet were totally engaged and interested in my work and story. The facilities and range of materials and techniques they have the opportunity to learn here is tremendous and the work I saw was to a high standard for this age group.”

DSC05732As one of De Monfort’s top art students, Kirsty was chosen to exhibit her work at London’s New Designers’ Exhibition, which caught the eye of industry representatives, other designers as well as the media. As a result of her success there, the Embroiderers’ Guild (the UK’s leading crafts association) selected Kirsty to showcase her work at the Knitting and Stitching Show, which is acknowledged as one of the definitive textile exhibitions in the UK.

As Kirsty takes her work to London, Harrogate and Dublin, she leaves the art students at Harrow Way School inspired. As one student commented: “It has been great to hear from someone like Kirsty. We all thought her work was brilliant and she has really made me think about how I can make my passion for art a reality.”

Harrow Way School was awarded the Artsmark Gold by the Arts Council of Great Britain. This prestigious award recognises the school’s excellent provision and expertise in the performing and creative arts.