Basketball 014As part of the Mountbatten Sports Partnership the year 10 and 11 basketball team played in a mini tournament with our local rivals John Hanson and Winton. Use the thumbnail on the right to view the gallery of photographs.

Nerves were on show as the boys narrowly lost 7-6 to John Hanson in a nail-biting and defensive first match, despite tireless running from the likes of Josh Cave and James Pawley. It looked like curtains in the second match too, as they were trailing 8-0 with just a few minutes to go. Sean White settled the nerves as he drained two clutch free throws to make the score 8-2 as they moved into the second Basketball 001half. Some clever half time substitutions from Coach Woods meant that the team found some rhythm and Josh Barnett and Charlie McPhee got into the groove with a couple of buckets each. The score was tied 8-8 when, with just 3 seconds to go Barnett found himself on the end of a rocket like pass from Danny Field. A simple lay-up and victory was secure.

“I felt the lads did well all in all,” Coach Andrew Woods revealed after the game. “We looked nervous Basketball 013early doors, but the lads found some form later on and they started performing like I know they can.” Young forward Josh Barnett confirmed that nerves were a problem. “It was tough early on, but we did alright in the end. Of course I am pleased that I got on the score sheet but it’s more important that we performed well as a team, and I think we did that in the second match.”

More fixtures will be set up in the new year when Harrow Way will hope to carry on in the way they left off here.

Staff Writer