IMG_0862 IMG_0865
Another tough away draw on the very last day of term, with usual captain Danny Urry out of action, was not enough to bring the ‘eagles’ down to earth. They were convincing 2-0 winners, and hardly had to change gears to overcome their quarter final opponents. Playing in their usual strip of all white the ‘eagles’ started off slowly, but midway through the first half their dominance in possession began to tell. Crestwood were defending fairly well but even the most neutral observer could sense that a goal for the ‘eagles’ was imminent. Goodson once more provided the breakthrough, a reward for his constant running and pressuring of the Crestwood defence. He took a through ball in his stride and volleyed the ball past the helpless keeper from close range. 1-0.

More chances were created but went begging as the ‘eagles’ class took a grip on the game. Although pleased with the half-time score and effort, coaches Wade and Hudson had some stern words to say to the players over the quality of their final ball. The players took it on board, and Crestwood suffered the backlash, as they faced an onslaught of attacks in the first ten minutes of the second half. Trigell tormented his midfield opposition as he threaded balls through for the forwards and with Webb and Donovan providing support, another goal was on the way. It duly arrived in spectacular fashion when Ayling with a sublime touch brought a high ball under control, then in the very next step he unleashed a ferocious volley into the far corner of the net with the keeper motionless. A goal good enough to win any game. 2-0.

With the ‘eagles’ defence once more looking rock solid under captain for the evening, Ross Willoughby, and his more than capable crew of Taylor, Glenister, and Smillie holding firm, the game was virtually over as they seldom looked in any danger of conceeding a goal. Crestwood to their credit never gave up and continued to run and tackle strongly, but the ‘eagles’ were now in cruise control on their flight to the semifinals.

Keeper Josh Barnett was virtually a spectator, although he once more displayed great confidence and good ‘hands’ when called upon. The final whistle signalled another piece of history, with the ‘eagles’ now having reached 3 County Cup Semifinals. An achievement which may never be surpassed. Destiny beckons once more for this special squad of talented individuals, who have been thwarted twice at the semi-final stage before from achieving their ‘dream’. The belief is that this is ‘their’ year, and what a final year it has been. All away draws, all away wins, two against previous champions. Two games to go, and no team deserves it more. Mr. Wade and Mr. Hudson would both like to congratulate all players on this special achievement, and whatever the outcome of the semifinal, we can honestly say we are both proud of the way you have competed and conducted yourselves as a team over the five years. Well done, and most of all good luck!